Friday, October 14, 2011

Field Trip

This past week I went on a field trip with my son's class. We went down to the Mission in San Juan Capistrano. What a fun experience for the kids and what a beautiful place. One of the first things they did was to make their own adobe brick.

IMG_6214

IMG_6216

They used these frames to shape the adobe into a brick then wrapped the brick with newspaper and placed it in a box to take home. My son's is still outside baking. He's been turning it over every day and it should be done by tomorrow afternoon. He came home with the idea of mixing his own adobe and making a wall in the backyard. Below are life size adobe bricks and frames that would have been used back in the early days of the mission.

IMG_6266

IMG_6233


There are just so many peaceful places there at the mission. I really would like to go back some morning to take it all in.


IMG_6235

IMG_6295

IMG_6294

IMG_6300

IMG_6343


All of the arches and the columns are very appealing to me. At the end of our tour the classes gathered by the fountain and the kids really enjoyed watching the Koi fish. My son and his friends discovered that the littler fish like to eat ants. So they were picking ants up off the ground and placing them on the lily pads with the hopes of seeing the fish eat them. And they weren't disappointed. I didn't capture any ant eating, but I did manage to get a couple of the water lilies.

Water Lilies in the fountain at Mission San Juan Capistrano

IMG_6369


So anyone want to join me on a photowalk of the mission? I am anxious to go back. But it probably won't happen until after the first of next year.

4 comments:

  1. Chris and I were just at the Mission SJC last Saturday. The gardens are absolutely beautiful right now, aren't they? I don't blame you for wanting to go back and take pictures. :) I had never seen it look quite so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gardens were stunning! It was so beautiful. And such a great place for a field trip. I wasn't able to go with my Katie when she went so it was a real treat to go with Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - it looks amazing. Little K had San Louis Obisbo as her mission last year and we tried to make a trip - but just couldn't get it coordinated before her report was due. I love that your school gets to go as a class field trip (were not quite close enough for a school trip).

    I would totally love to meet up for a photo walk. OC is not terribly close - but I could coordinate with some other things (like a trip to SLO) and make a family long weekend trip.

    Keep me in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! Let me know when you go back. I'd love to go with you and take photos, with or without exploring kids along.

    ReplyDelete